Aviva is a Canterbury, specialist family and sexual violence agency, established in 1973 as Christchurch Women’s Refuge. Our aim is to better support people to overcome family violence and live fulfilled lives – together or apart. Digital Wings computers provided our staff members and volunteers access to technology to allow them to do their life-changing work.In the last financial year we supported over 1,800 children, young people, men and women to overcome their experiences of family violence. We also answered more than 4,600 calls for support on our 0800 support line.
Programme outcomes include:
- ReachOut early intervention support for 154 men who use violence
- Shine safe@home security upgrades for 75 families (177 individuals) at high risk of repeat or severe family violence
- Specialist Peer Support for longer term support from those with their own lived experience to 93 peers in the community
- Microfinance services that provides no or low interest loans for purchasing essential items to those who are unable to access safe and affordable credit
- Sexual Assault Support to 371 individuals who have experienced recent or historic rape or sexual assault
- Youth and children’s services to 116 individuals, including one-on-one support for young people who have experienced family violence or are struggling with their own anger